Westville Group is thrilled to announce that we are supporting the new Green Growth Plan for the Midlands.
The Midlands Engine Ten Point Plan for Green Growth is a series of actions designed to help strengthen and revolutionise the economy of the East Midlands, with a focus on creating jobs in green sectors, whilst cutting co2 emissions and promoting sustainability & green business.
Including ourselves, the ten-point plan for green growth is backed by big-name brands from energy, banking, education & more, and covers Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Birmingham and the Black Country. This is an area home to over 11 million people and 816,000 businesses, with an economy comparable in size to the whole of Denmark.
The ten areas of focus for promoting green growth and sustainability in the Midlands are:
- Green Buildings – Aim to improve energy efficiency & decarbonise heat, with a focus on cutting greenhouse gas emissions, reducing energy demand, increasing energy security and promoting innovation & job creation. This could add £3.4bn to the economy and create 30,000 jobs.
- Net Zero Transport – Lead the transition to net-zero transport by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, promoting the use of net-zero vehicles, and creating green jobs. This could remove 7m tonnes of Co2 from the atmosphere, and create 8,000 jobs.
- Natures Recovery – Protect natural assets by investing in woodland, peatland and other carbon sinks, whilst enhancing biodiversity, encouraging nature tourism, and creating 3,000 more green jobs to support that.
- Blue-Green Places – Investing in green and blue spaces in cities, towns and villages by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improving water management systems, enhancing biodiversity, and increasing access to such spaces.
- Low Carbon Hydrogen – Pioneer, commercialise and deliver low carbon hydrogen systems in the energy sector. This will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve energy security, reduce energy costs and create 14,000 high value jobs.
- Clean Energy – Promote sustainable energy creation and storage, including coordinating the development of clean energy systems. This will reduce Co2 emissions by 4.2million tonnes and create around 3,000 jobs.
- Smart Energy – Develop digital infrastructure to help decarbonise our energy production, whilst also cutting costs for consumers, and creating digital infrastructure jobs within the sector.
- Green Innovation – Focus time and investment into pushing green innovation, establishing the Midlands and wider UK as a global hub for green innovation, creating over 44,000 jobs in the process.
- Energy Workforce – Bring together skills leaders from across the region to deliver the funding and investment for green energy programmes designed to train the next generation of energy industry workers.
- Green Finance – Work with finance providers to provide the backing for green energy projects at scale.
You can find full details of the Green Growth plan and each step in the official ten-point plan.
Everyone at Westville is so pleased and excited to be involved in this great scheme. We live and work in an incredible part of the UK, and we hope that this ten-point plan can help to push the local economy into a high tech, green age that will highlight the Midlands as a global leader in the fight against climate change.
For more information regarding what we do here at Westville, and our role in the Green Growth Plan, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our friendly team on 0800 1583605 or leave us a message via our contact form.